Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Digital Prayer Wheel

I have always been fascinated with the concept of merging together technology and spirituality.

In my quest to find and or experience truth ( which can be a tricky word in itself) I have stumbled upon the Buddhist though process.

One of the amazing things about this thought process is that it is very PRESENT and in the NOW.

If something is not T with a Capital T true then it is not valid.

I am providing a link out to a simple concept for anyone who wants to follow it on a topic which at first glance may seem very mysterious and OLD how ever when one dives deep into it and can suspend their crystallized belief and look at it with out any belief at all it is quite a fascinating idea.

The digital prayer wheel.

I have been having to deconstruct my own beliefs as I have walked down an interesting path. First I had to come at all belief systems from a blank slate. I had an immediate aversion to anything spiritual. My gut reaction was one of distrust and hate.

Then I moved through doubt and feeling stupid that I was practicing anything at all.

Then I had some sort of weird shadow from the past be it cultural and societal pressure to conform to an imposed belief system.

Once I was able to get to a point where I could see the practice and or thought process for what it was for myself then it became interesting.

Again, I am not saying that anything that I say is right or wrong... it simply is what it is.

Now on to the digital prayer wheel.

For more information please visit:

Tibetan Buddhists believe that saying the mantra (prayer) Om Mani Padme Hum, invites the blessings of Chenrezig, the embodiment of compassion.

They also believe you can produce the same effect by spinning the written form of the mantra around in a prayer wheel (called "Mani wheels" by the Tibetans). The effect is said to be multiplied when more copies of the mantra are included, and spinning the Mani wheels faster increases the benefit as well.

Unless you are already familiar with Tibetan Buddhist prayer wheels, we'd like to suggest that before reading more of this page, you look at Dharma Haven's main page on Mani wheels:

The Prayer Wheel



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
His Holiness, the Dalai Lama, has said that having the mantra on your computer works the same as a traditional Mani wheel. As the digital image spins around on your hard drive, it sends the peaceful prayer of compassion to all directions and purifies the area.

Animated images like this one are digital Mani wheels which can be placed on Web pages. Similar animated graphics can be used for Mani-wheel screen savers.

This page offers information on how to install several types of digital prayer wheels on your computer:



http://www.dharma-haven.org/tibetan/digital-wheels.htm#Overview

No comments: