Thursday, September 14, 2006

Mixing Fun and Thought - Boldly going where no man has gone before

An interesting site that utilizes voting and making fast mini sites to get your point accross.

The public then votes on what you have to say.

This link is an example of a thought provoking example of an awareness that I had when I was a child.

I was 8 or 9 and watched Star Trek. Somehow I grasped the concept of faster than light speed travel. While it is not physicaly possible, it is still possible to think about it from a logical stand point.

I am not sure where this awareness came from.

I mean think about it. You are moving FASTER than light.

If you had headlights on the vehicle that you were traveling in and you turned them on you would arrive at the destination before the light from the vehicle would get there.

Take it a step further. Covering such vast distances. I had the realization about just how large the universe was. How small the earth was and in turn how small I was.

I am not quite sure how I came to this point of view and to this awareness.

The next question came... where is God. Where is that guy "UP THERE" where us UP THERE?

Perhaps it was because I spent more time watching Star Trek. Sure I had been exposed to the bible and what not but Mr.Spock was more tangible to me. I liked the green chicks that Kapin Kirk was chasing around and I wanted a tribble for a pet.

I went out sat under a tree and started to stare up into space.

I contemplated some of the episodes of Star Trek when they would rubber band around the sun and time travel back and forth. Remember this was Pre - Movie star trek. This was not even the Episodes where they used some alien technology.

This was just using some daring manuver with the good old USS Enterprise.

BING BANG BOOM.. They were not only moving faster than light they were moving back and forth through time.

I then began to contemplate the greater issues of IF we could SHOULD we move around in time.

Star Trek also brought up the issues of Multiple dimensions - Again pre Deep Space 9 which brings in Worm Holes. We have the episode where we have the Evil Spock.

All of this really opened my mind and seemed to always create more questions which lead to questions which lead to questions.

What I liked about this was the spirit of the crew who seemed able to find an answer to the question at hand. They never knew what they would face and they "BOLDLY Went where no man went before"

Life is sort of like that you know.

Any way..

Check out this real life example of what somehow Star Trek showed me a while ago.

A tiny Glimpse

No comments: