Thursday, October 05, 2006

So long, not enough time to make it short

The other day I was reading a book and I came a cross a quote that said something to the effect that this letter is so long because I did not have time to make it short.
I wish I would have paid attention to who said it but at least I am actually stating that this is not my own idea.

This is quite often a problem that I have in my life. Not only when ripping out long winded emails and other forms of written communications but also in other layers of communications. Take now for instance. I am sitting at a coffee shop. Lap top in hand. Not even looking at the screen. Watching people going by listening to two different conversations while typing the stream of thoughts in my head. Not even looking down at the screen as my fingers dance across the screen. The word processing program will automatically spell check as I type and I don’t even really care what I have just typed.

As fast as I can type the letters will just appear on the page and then I can instantly push a button and publish it un filtered on the web.

This in a way is very freeing. In a way it can be devastating. Should we practice restraint of pen tongue and fingers? What if I get angry and rip off an angry flash or blip of word and do not even read it and post it up.

It can be forever remembered in a database to be pulled up and tagged to me

I guess I can say that I did not type it. But that wont fly. It can be traced back to me via an IP address.

Things move much faster in this world of ours. We are truly connected we always have been and this is just another layer of communication.

Oh well.

Just another rant and rave from beyond.

Something shiney just distracted me so I will end this for now.

1 comment:

Meg Moran said...

Self censorship......yah, we don't want anyone fishing in our stream of conciousness..

My head? I'm still stuck wondering what the shiney thing was.